660 AM, Omaha
First Air Date: April 19, 1922
Original Call Letters: WAAW
Date of FCC Issue: April 19, 1922
Issued To: Omaha Grain Exchange
Through the Years
April 25, 1922- WAAW, owned by the Omaha Grain Exchange, is authorized for daytime only.
April 25, 1922- First Broadcast on 360 meters, 15 watts, at Grain Exchange Building, 19th & Harney in Omaha. Station broadcasts Agricultural Reports and Crop Prices.
May 22, 1922- Power increase to 150 watts, then to 200 watts
September, 1922- Authorized additional wavelength at 485 meters.
April, 1924- Authorized at 500 watts with new 90-foot towers on top of the Grain Exchange building.
July, 1924- Moved to 1050 on the new broadcast band.
November, 1924- Moved to 1080 Khz.
November, 1925- Moves from 1080khz to 780khz.
June, 1927- moved to 800 khz.
October, 1927- moved to 680 khz.
November, 1928- Moved to 660 khz, final move.
Transmitter move from Grain Exchange Building to new location at 60th & Girard.
May, 1938- Joins NBC Blue network.
April, 1939- station purchased by the Omaha World-Herald.
April, 1939- Call letters are changed from WAAW to KOWH, “Omaha World Herald”.
1939- Studios moved from Grain Exchange Building to Omaha World Herald Building, 15th & Farnam, Omaha.
Loses NBC Blue network to KOIL.
Builds new transmitter site and 500 ft. tower at 60th & Hartman, Omaha.
April, 1949- Sold to Todd Storz for $75,000, which includes new KOAD FM.(92.9 ). Mid-Continent Broadcasting.
Principals: Robert Storz, President; Todd Storz, General Manager; B.C. Corrigan, Commercial Manager; Gaylord Avery, Program Director; George Armstrong, Promotion Manager.
February, 1950- KOAD FM is silenced. KOWH begins programming moves on AM toward a hit music format.
Sandy Jackson, Omaha’s first DJ, joins station from KBON, 1490 AM .
Tops ratings. “Most listened to Independent Radio Station” in the country for the next 6 years.
Gives in to rock and roll playlist, thanks to Elvis.
June, 1957- station sold to National Review, owned by William Buckley for $822,500.
January 1, 1960- Changes call letters to KMEO and format to lush orchestral music as “Cameo” music.
Moves studios to 60th & Hartman transmitter site.
Power increased from 500 watts to 1,000 watts. Still limited to daytime only operation.
June, 1967- Studios move to Prom Town House motel and restaurant complex, 70th & Dodge, Omaha.
January 22, 1968- Changes call letters to KOZN, and format change to Country as “Country Cousin”.
Changes format to Soul/R&B.
January, 1971- Sold to Black-owned Reconciliation Broadcasting for $375,000, which includes FM (94.1) , keeping Soul/R&B format. Two of the owners of Reconciliation were sports stars Bob Gibson and Bob Boozer.
May, 1971- Changes call letters back to KOWH.
1971- Studios are moved to 3910 Harney St., Omaha.
January, 1975- gets Pre-Sunrise authorization. Can go to 50 watts as early as 6 a.m. until sunrise.
October, 1976- Soul format drifts and completes change to Religious and Gospel format.
April 23, 1979- Purchased by Radio Omaha, Inc. for $435,000. (Samuel Smulyan, President & Jack Marsella owners; Bill Butler, General Manager. [Emmis Communications formed in 1980, by Samuel Smulyan & Jeff Smulyan]). AM only. 94.1 FM is sold to Great Empire Broadcasting.
1979- Studios move to old KYNN studios, 3615 Dodge St., Omaha.
1979- Call letters change to KCRO, “Christian Radio Omaha”.
Station sold to Eternal Broadcasting for $2 Million, then immediately leased to Waitt Media.
January, 2003- Begins full time operation when authorized to operate with 54 watts during nightime hours. Night signal has to protect Clear Channel station WFAN, 660 AM, New York City, NY.
Studios move to 11717 Burt Street, Omaha.
January, 2005- Station sold to Salem Broadcasting for $3.1 million.
Adds FM translator, 250 watts at 94.5.
July, 2018- Hickory Radio ( Steve Seline) purchases KCRO, along with co-owned KOTK (1420AM) plus two translators from Salem Media. Sale consummates on October 31, 2018 for $1.375 Million.