970 AM, North Platte
First Air Date: December 26, 1952
Operating Power: 1,000 watts, daytime only, directional antenna
Original Call Letters: KNBR
Format: Commercial with Religious emphasis
General Manager: Emil Odean
Issued To: John G. Townsend
Through the Years
December 26, 1952- Sign on as KNBR. Studios at 212 North Jeffers, Transmitter on US 30, 5.2 miles west of North Platte city limits. Owner- John G. Townsend (owner of Townsend Manufacturing, Sutherland, NE.)
July, 1956- Call letters changed to KJLT, “King Jesus Lives Today.”
Power upgrade to 5,000 watts, non-directional. Station switches to non-commercial status. Studios/Offices move to Hirschfield Building, 600 North Dewey St, North Platte.
July, 1957-Control transferred to Tri-State Broadcasting Association, Inc. through Townsend’s transfer of license and assets to the corporation as a gift. John Townsend remains president and as occasional general manager.
March 3, 1966- Blizzard winds topple tower. Off the air for 15 days.
Pre-sunrise operation authorized at 500 watts.
Studios/offices move to 201 South Bailey, North Platte.
President’s son, John L. Townsend takes over as general manager while John G. remains president and chief engineer for another eight years. John L. takes over as president as well in 1990.
Authorized for 55 watts night time operation.
KJLT adds a co-owned FM station through the purchase of KODY FM 94.9, 63,000 watts at 200 feet, for $85,000. Changes calls to KJLT FM. Adopts Christian format.
FM translator K239CI granted. 95.7, 250 watts.