1400 AM, Lincoln
First Air Date: August 15, 1947
Operating Power: 250 watts
Original Call Letters: KOLN
Network Affiliation: Mutual
General Manager: Hugh Bader
Issued To: Inland Broadcasting (Paul Fry, Omaha)
Through the Years
August 15, 1947- Station signs on. Mutual Network affiliate.
Sold nationally as a packaged network with co-owned KBON, Omaha and KORN, Fremont, NE.
August 4, 19490 Inland Broadcasting seeks television license for channel 12 to be KOLN TV.
September, 1952- Station is sold to Cornhusker Radio & TV (James Stuart) for $43,000. Inland turns their attention to seeking Omaha television Channel 7.
Cornhusker Radio and TV granted Channel 12 for KOLN-TV using their AM tower.
February 17, 1953- KOLN TV Channel 12 signs on as an affiliate of the DuMont network.
July, 1953-Cornhusker Radio & TV sells the AM and TV to Fetzer Broadcasting (John E. Fetzer) for $650,000 including $120,000 in liabilities and $175,000 in long term debt. (Cornhusker reported a loss of $113,000 for the first half of 1953). AM studios move to 40th and W Streets in Lincoln, joining co-owned KOLN-TV
February, 1954- Fetzer is approved to buy KFOR-TV Channel 10 from Cornbelt Broadcasting for $300,000, conditioned on the disposal of Channel 12, and will move the KOLN-TV call letters to Channel 10.
March, 1954- Fetzer to sell Channel 12 to the University of Nebraska for $100,000, transmitter and equipment only.
August, 1954- KOLN-TV transfer to Byron Dunn, trustee, with eventual operation by the University of Nebraska.
June, 1955- KOLN AM sold to Robert W. Frudger (Galesburg, IL) for $120,000. Call letters are changed to KLIN and studios move to 410 Sharp Building, Lincoln, NE.
December, 1956- KLIN is sold to Fletcher-Mitchell Corporation (Jonathan M. Fletcher, James I Mitchell) for $190,000.
KLIN is sold to Shurtleff-Schorr Broadcasting (Paul C. Shurtleff & Donald C. Schorr) for $415,000. Daytime power is increased from 250 watts to 1,000 watts. An application is filed for KLIN FM 107.3.
KLIN FM signs on at 107.3 with 100,000 watts at 165 feet.
September, 1971- Station is sold to KLIN Inc. (Norton and Diana Warner) for $800,000 including the FM.
Studios and offices move to 4343 O Street, known as The Broadcast House.
May, 2000- Sold to Triad Broadcasting (David Benjamin). Mark Halverson, General Manager.
August, 2007- Stations are sold to NRG Media.
KLIN begins simulcast on FM translator K233AN 94.5, with 250 watts on top of the U.S. Bank Building, Lincoln until 2014.
Begins simulcast on FM translator K257GN 99.3.