900 AM, Columbus
First Air Date: April 28, 1948
Operating Power: 1,000 watts
Original Call Letters: KJSK
Format: Religious/Middle of the Road
General Manager: George Basil Anderson (Founder)
Program Director: Florence Anderson
Chief Engineer: Harold Hardy
Through the Years
April 28, 1948- KJSK signs on at 1,000 watts, non-directional on a 260 foot tower. Daytime only. Studios and transmitter co-located on Route 3, Shady Lake Road 6 (8/10th of a mile northwest of town). Format is Religious/Middle of the Road and the call letters mean: “Know Jesus Saves and Keeps.” Glorious Gospel Hour produced by Anderson begins a 30+ run after airing five years on another station.
Anderson expands into group ownership with the purchase of stations in Kansas and Colorado, and copyrights “Heart of the Nation Stations” slogan.
Reassigns license to KJSK Inc. as part of the Anderson Group of Stations.
KJSK 101.1 FM signs on.
Station expands agricultural programming with 11 daily market reports and summaries.
KJSK AM is authorized 66 watts for unlimited night time operation.
Sunday All Star Polka Show hosted by Mark Vyhlidal begins a long run on the station.
November, 1990- License is assigned to Roger P. Anderson, George’s son for $101,500.
KJSK is sold to Heartland Broadcasting, Inc. (Timothy R. McMahon, Daniel Gardner) for $850,000, including KJSK FM.
Format is modified to News-Talk emphasis while keeping religious and polka programming.
KJSK AM and its FM is sold to Three Eagles Communications (Gary Buchanan, Rolland Johnson, CEO) for $2.7 million. (Three Eagles owns 35 other stations at that time, including a station cluster in Lincoln, NE.) Studios move to 1418 25th Street in Columbus joining now co-owned KTTT.
Digity (Dean Goodman CEO) acquires Three Eagles in a 48-station deal for $66.5 million.
February, 2016- Digity is acquired by Alpha Media (Larry Wilson, Chairman) in a $264 million package.