1560 AM, Council Bluffs, IA
First Air Date: October 31, 1947
Operating Power: 500 watts
Original Call Letters: KSWI
Date of FCC Issue: October 31, 1947
Issued To: Council Bluffs Nonpareil
Through the Years
KSWI goes on air (as South West Iowa). Studios were located in the Strand Theater in Council Bluffs.
April, 1964- station sold from Nonpareil to Abe Slusky and Clair Gross. Stock purchased by J. LeRoy Spurgeon. Studios were moved to a location at 546 Mynster Street and the call letters were changed to KRCB (“Radio Council Bluffs”).
July, 1967- Slusky sells KRCB to a Michigan Lawyer, James J. Conroy.
March, 1969- KRCB adopts a Top 40 format, and would add an FM sister station, KRCB-FM (98.5)
The polka music programming that had been a popular feature on KSWI was given new life on KRCB as “The Big Joe Polka Show”, hosted by Joe Siedlick and aired on Sunday mornings.
January 24, 1975-Station is sold to John C. Mitchell.
October 25, 1978- Station call letters changed to KQXV.( the “XV” being the Roman numeral for 15, representing the station’s approximate position on the AM dial.)
April 12, 1979- Station call letters changed to KLNG. ( the KLNG calls originally were assigned to 1490 AM, which had a news/talk format in the 1970’s.
Station changes format to R&B/Soul and goes by the moniker, “The Wizard”.
Station is purchased by Bob Wilkins, with Wilkins Communications. Station later receives FCC approval for a power increase to 10,000 watts day, 2,100 watts critical hours. Format: Christian Programming.