1410 AM, York, NE
First Air Date: August 16, 1926
Operating Power: 100 watts
Original Call Letters: KGBZ
Issued To: Federal Livestock Remedy Company (Dr. George Miller)
Through the Years
August 16, 1926- KGBZ signs on owned by Dr. George Miller, a York veterinarian, who practiced from an office just off of West Fifth Street in York,NE. Miller was known for hocking his special, nutritionally complete feed for swine and fowl. Two of the more famous were Hog-O-Vita, a cure for mixed infections in swine, and Chick-O-Vita for prevention and treatment of microscopic parasite infecting the intestinal tract of fowls. Two 100-foot towers rose above the station in the present York State Bank Building. Mrs. George R. Miller, helped organize radio programs and often performed violin solos. The actual owner of the station was the Dr. George R. Miller Live Stock Remedy Company. In late, 1926, the station was relocated to 715 Grant Avenue. The station’s slogan was “The Swine and Poultry Station.”
York’s station operated six days a week, being silent on Tuesdays.
September, 28, 1927- A beauty contest was held and contestants were between the ages of 18 and 25 and must never before have been engaged in professional music production.
Obtaining full time status, through the consolidation of five other low powered stations, KGBZ now operated with 500 watts of power.
KGBZ received authorization to change frequency from 1410 AM to 930 AM in 1930. It also increased power to 2500 watts day, 1000 watts night.
George Miller retires from the presidency of the Dr. Miller Company. Several others kept the station on the air, including the Omaha World Herald and KMA in Shenandoah, Iowa.
July 24, 1936- KGBZ ceased operation.