Nebraska Broadcasters Association Archive logo

1350 AM, O’Neill

City of License: O'Neill, NE

First Air Date: November 30, 1955

Operating Power: 250 watts

Original Call Letters: KVHC AM

General Manager: Robert LaRue

Chief Engineer: Robert LaRue

Issued To: Holt County Broadcasting

Through the Years

  • 1955

    November, 1955-  KVHC signs on at 1350 AM (originally authorized at 1400 kc).  250 watts.
    Studio and transmitter located at 250 Jefferson Street in O’Neill, NE.  Principals:  Russell M Stewart, Robert LaRue.  Holt County Broadcasting Co.

  • 1957

    LaRue sells KVHC to Sun Broadcasting Company, Inc of Holdrege, NE (William C. Whitlock).

  • 1958

    KVHC call letters are changed to KBRX and increased power from 250 watts to 1,000 watts.

  • 1958

    October 22, 1958- KBRX is granted acquisition of positive control by Gaylord Illingworth, now 20% owner, through purchase of the remaining 80% interest from William C. Whitlock, et al, for $6,635.


    One of the longest running programs on KBRX begins  “Party Line”.   Announcer Willie Thomas began the show in late in 1958 and it continues today, Monday thru Friday.  Willie had a theme song of “Keep Your Promise Willie Thomas” which many remember well.

  • 1961

    July 5, 1961-  KBRX is sold by Gaylord Illinigworth, sole owner to Ranchland Broadcasting Company (Gilbert Poese (80%), Welma Fay Poese and Lorris C. Rice (10% each) for $30,000 consideration.  Poese is manager of assignor and has been manager of KNIM, Maryville, MO.  Mrs. Poese is employee of assignor; Rice is announcer and salesman for assignor and has been announcer for KBKC, Kansas City, MO.   Poese had also worked for the president of Sun Broadcasting (Bill Whitlock) for several years and was offered the purchase of the station.

    The offer was to operate the station for a year, pay off the debts and then purchase the station with no money down.  Buying a radio station with no money down may sound good, but it’s not easy to do if you have no money, which Gil didn’t have.  The station owed everyone for everything.  Gil recalled visiting with a local banker about financing for the station.  The banker suggested that perhaps Gil should simply operate the station out of the basement of his home.   Gil said this wasn’t really the solution to his problem, as he neither had a home or a basement at the time.  Instead, he wrote to all they owned money and promised to pay each $5.00 a month until all debts were paid.  With patience, hard work and perseverance, all debts were paid off, and 7 years later so was Sun Broadcasting.

  • 1974

    January 22, 1974-  KBRX FM goes on the air at 92.7 FM with 3,000 watts.  Transmitter/studios and offices located at 251 North Jefferson in O’Neill.  Antenna located on the 150 foot AM tower.

  • 1976

    Thirteen year old Scott Poese, Gil’s son, goes on the air for the first time.  Scott eventually rises to General Manager of the station and still awakens listeners at 6AM or for them to tune into “Party Line’ weekdays.  When it comes to sportscasting, Scott is to KBRX fans what Harry Carey was to the Chicago Cubs fans.