100.7 FM, Omaha
First Air Date: May 17, 1966
Operating Power: 29,000 watts
Original Call Letters: KGBI
General Manager: Ward Childerson
Issued To: Grace Bible Institute
Through the Years
May 17, 1966- KGBI signs on at 29 kw and antenna at 165 feet. Studios and Transmitter are located on the Grace Bible Institute campus, 1515 South 10th Street, with a technical address of 831 Pine Street in Omaha. Format is Religious “inspirational programming.”
June, 1973- Station gets a power upgrade to 100,000 watts on a new 500 foot tower in western Sarpy County between Louisville and Springfield. The old campus tower becomes the studio-transmitter link.
The school and licensee name changes to Grace College of the Bible.
March, 1977- Grace purchases KROA 95.7 FM, Doniphan-Grand Island, NE as a re-broadcast satellite station.
KGBI uses “Safe For the Whole Family” positioning liner.
June, 1990- A new 1200-foot tower is constructed near Springfield, 180th & Buffalo Road.
KGBI is branded as The Bridge.
KGBI is named Radio Station of the Year by the National Religious Broadcasters Association.
Station is sold to Salem Communications for $10 million, but this does not include KROA FM in Grand Island. Studios are moved from Grace College location to 11717 Burt Street with co-owned KCRO 660 and KOTK 1420. Transmitter is moved to the WOWT tower, 72nd & Crown Point, Omaha.
Station is re-branded as The Fish.
Salem sells KGBI to the University of Northwestern-St. Paul for $3.15 million. Station’s new slogan is Omaha Christian Radio. Studio location is unchanged.